February Is National Children’s Dental Health Month!
February is officially upon us, which means it is National Children’s Dental Health month! Throughout the month, dentists around the country are teaching kids about the importance of good dental health by brushing their teeth, flossing, and more! According to the CDC, cavities and tooth decay are the most common chronic diseases of children aged 6 to 11 years and adolescents aged 12 to 19 years. To lower that statistic here in Eastern NC, Children’s World Learning Center child care in Greenville NC wants to share with you 6 ways to teach good dental habits for your kids, starting right now!
- Brush And Floss Regularly. Brushing and flossing are both critical to oral health, and you’re the best model your children have. Brush and floss your teeth on a regular basis, and teach children to start using toothpaste as soon as they’re old enough not to swallow it. You can purchase non-fluoride toothpaste with a fun color, which teaches children to brush completely and regularly. When the teeth begin to touch one another, teach your kids to floss between them once daily.
- Make It Fun By Getting Your Child A Special Brush. Children are more likely to learn good dental hygiene if it’s fun. With this in mind, purchase your child a special toothbrush. For best results, get one that fits small hands and features a color or characters your child likes.
- Teach Proper Brushing Time. According to The American Dental Association, brushing for two minutes is optimal. Teach your child how to brush for two minutes with a two-minute sand timer. Let your child start and end the timer to make brushing more fun.
- Reward Good Dental Habits. Teach children that hard work pays off when it comes to dental care. Consider giving gold stars for kids who brush twice a day, floss, or have cavity-free dental visits.
- Read Books and Watch Videos. Go to the local library and pick out some books on dental care and good oral health. This is a great way to teach children about taking care of their teeth. After all, learning dental care is much easier when it’s a relatable process. Children’s World Learning Center child care in Greenville NC is promoting good dental health all month long!
- Make Regular Dental Appointments. Making dental check-ups a regular affair is an excellent way to promote good dental health. Visit the dentist every six months to ensure healthy, happy mouths for your kids. If the appointment goes well, surprise your child with a special treat, like a visit to the park or beach.
Children’s World Learning Center
If you’re looking for ways to start teaching good dental habits, the six tips above are all excellent places to start! By investing a little time and attention now, you can promote great dental health care that lasts a lifetime. For more tips and advice, contact Children’s World Learning Center child care in Greenville NC!